These are the top quotes from the interview in the words of Winky and Kenes themselves:
- From studying acting, actually we are taught that we have all kinds of characteristics: like craziness, naughtiness, anger, sadness, and femininity… Acting, I think, can be a vehicle to learn and know about ourselves further.
- I am also concerned with the suicide case of the Korean actress due to bullying. That news made me realize that we need to talk about bullying by netizens. The mental illness is not in the suicide victim but I think inside the people who think bullying is acceptable. So don’t say that people commit suicide because he/she has mental illness. That is why the society is the one who has to change the way they think about bullying and mental illness.
- As an entertainer, things like buillying or negative critics, we receive it a lot more often by us and our social media accounts. They think we are not human. So we cannot do anything wrong, cannot be sad, we have to be always happy.
- In Indonesia there are still many who are ashamed if they have mental illnesses, even when our closest friends already identify the symptoms. That is why consulting a psychologist or a psychiatrist is very important.
- If our body is sick we can see it, if it attacks our mind we it can be fatal because it is invisible. The point is, we have to talk about it, especially if it is really bad we have to talk to our parents, experts, or doctors. The most basic things is to communicate and don’t just bury them.
- I see that we love to talk negatively, gossip, talk about conflict, or watch suffering people on TV. I think, the worse the title in the news, people will click it more often. I don’t think this is something we can just ignore.
- I am quite happy there are a number of public figures who began to report bullying to the police. This can be a good example so that we don’t underestimate what our fingers can do, because what you write can have dire consequences for the ones receiving your comments. Sometimes, “Sorry,” is not enough because they do not know the impact they have on the lives of the people they direct their comments to.
- Someone who works in the entertainment industry is also a human being. They have problems, they get sick, they get sad, they experienced not so good experiences. So as a fan or a follower in social media, don’t push these public figures to be perfect, because we are also a human being with problems.
- Don’t be afraid of what’s inside you. Just take note. The danger is when we feel empty, alone, and useless. That usually leads to self-pity. There are a lot of counseling groups, try to find out more about it.
- Moreover, if you know you are in an environment that is not good for you, don’t force yourself to stay, just leave.
Thank you, Winky and Kenes!